Senior Manager, Strategy and Planning
It is role of the Strategy & Planning team to act as the 'GPS and Headlights' for the Fidelity International business, being the go-to team for all aspects of corporate strategy, corporate development and corporate performance management. The team has a high profile within the firm, has earned its high regarded by the most senior stakeholders and has a unique vantage point from which to lead strategic analyses and projects across the full breadth and reach of the firm. The team has frequent interaction with members of Fidelity International's Global Operating Committee (ExCo) and with the members of the Board.
Comprising a team of 12 professionals based in London, Hong Kong and New Delhi, the team's primary responsibilities fall into the following categories:
- Research & Analysis
- Strategic Planning
- Strategic Initiatives & Projects
- Performance Management
Under the accountability of a senior director and with all members of the team have clear reporting lines, areas of expertise and defined accountabilities, the team's human capital is considered 'fungible' and aligned to business priorities, needs and initiatives as they arise, akin to external consultancy firm models.
Purpose of your role
The Senior Manager is an experienced member of the Strategy & Planning Team and is expected to independently lead straight forward strategic project end-to-end, or take accountability for delivering specific workstreams on large projects.The individual will need to be well organised, motivated, self-starter and will be adept at balancing (sometimes conflicting) priorities and managing senior stakeholders professionally.
This is a very broad role and the Senior Manager should expect to be involved in and/or leading multiple projects or workstreams simultaneously, working in a matrix team environment with both Strategy & Planning team members and with individuals from across the organisation.
Whilst the role is based in London, occasional travel to other Fidelity sites in the UK and across the globe may be required.
The nature and focus of the Senior Manager's work will be shaped by business priorities, but will include:
Strategic Research & Analysis
- Thematic Research - support the Strategy team in providing insight into market trends, disruptions innovations and challenges that may have a material impact on the industry, markets, clients and future business propositions in the future
- Business Strategy Review - support/ deliver 'independent' business strategy reviews
- Strategy Refresh - support periodic process to refresh/update 5-year strategy
- Alignment & Integration - ensure alignment and integration of strategy between business, technology and finance stakeholders
- Communication - support communication of strategy to Board & other stakeholders
Strategic Initiative & Project Delivery
- Strategic Initiatives - scope, develop and lead delivery of specific workstreams on significant business consulting projects and/ or independently deliver relatively less complex initiatives
Merger & Acquisitions
- M&A Strategy - support development and implementation of inorganic growth strategy for FIL
- Deal Management - support workstreams of corporate transactions
- Contribute the setting, monitoring and reporting on corporate goals and performance, as may be required
- Contribute to effective stakeholder management key executives, leaders and Board members from across the business.
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Substantial experience of strategy consultancy, gained with a top tier strategy or management consultancy
- Rock solid understanding of standard strategy models
- Refined, demonstrable range of core consulting skills e.g. structured thinking, facilitation, structured analysis/problem solving, exemplary written (PowerPoint/Word) and oral presentation skills, stakeholder management, project management etc.
- Experience in financial services sector, ideally asset management
- Financially literate - ideally MBA, CFA or accounting qualification
- Proven ability to manage senior level stakeholders.
- Highly-analytical team player, able to work with minimal supervision
- Experience of building relationships and operating successfully in matrix / 'team of teams' environments
- Fluency in English, ideally able to communicate in other relevant European or Asian languages
- Motivated, passionate, driven, self-starter who thrives on responsibility and sees challenges as opportunities
- Desire to develop a broad knowledge of the asset management sector and the Fidelity International business and corporate model
- Natural relationship builder & influencer; good self-awareness; ability to work constructively across levels, departments and countries
- Assertive, tenacious and enthusiastic
- A global mind-set
- Eye for detail; drive for quality
- Dependable, delivers no matter what; ability to work to tight deadlines when needed
- Innovative, flexible, agile - willingness to 'roll sleeves up'