Bank Authorisations and Regulatory Compliance - Senior Manager
The Market Opportunity
KPMG is a leading advisor to banks seeking consul in key regulatory issues including structural reform, recovery and resolution planning, stress testing, capital adequacy, and capital adequacy. The KPMG team is growing to satisfy the increasing client demand for prudential advisory support.
Furthermore, KPMG is a leading advisor to banks seeking a banking licence in the UK market whether as subsidiaries and branches of overseas banks or new start-ups. The bank authorisation market is particularly active currently as a result of Brexit requiring banks operating under EEA-branch licences in the UK to plan for the UK's exit from the single market. The team has a strong brand in the overseas banking market particularly with small to medium sized banks. In this ‘portfolio' segment we support clients with advice and remediation support across the full spectrum of regulatory subject matters ranging from Governance Effectiveness reviews; to SMCR Compliance assessments through to Board level coaching and preparation for meeting with the Prudential Regulation Authority (“PRA”) and the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”).
You will be the engagement manager on a number of regulatory compliance engagements for our UK and global client base.
This will involve but is not limited to:
• Engagement managing large, multi-disciplinary projects;
• Leading and co-leading pitches to win future work;
• Managing budgets, providing work in progress updates and client invoicing;
• Ensuring engagements are delivered to the high standards our clients expect;
• Leading, motivating and managing teams and co-ordinating with subject matter experts;
• Managing engagements day-to-day supporting engagement leaders including the financials and resourcing of individual projects
• Supporting the developing and maintaining client relationships alongside the partner and directors of the team;
• Developing and maintaining strong relationships with clients and building an external network.
• Presenting to senior stakeholders;
• Taking responsibility for discreet areas of business development and proposal builds;
• Enhancing KPMG's profile in the market by supporting KPMG's wider global network;
• Identifying new opportunities with existing engagement/clients for the team and the wider KPMG
• Providing detailed technical advice covering a range of regulatory matters; and
• Managing or leading a portfolio of concurrently running client engagements.
As an engagement manager, you are technically proficient but also comfortable in dealing with a wide range of people whether internally or in a client facing capacity. Your experience and skills will show that you will:
• Lead by example with client relationships, technical quality and service delivery;
• Display technical strength in at least one of our core subject matter expertise (e.g. prudential regulation; governance and SMCR compliance; or bank authorisation)
• Play a key role in people development activities (coaching/ mentoring) for less experienced team members and play a key role in attracting and retaining talent to build the team as the business grows;
• Sustain a high level of drive, show enthusiasm and a positive attitude that translates across the team;
• Display an inclusive, collaborative approach and operate in an inspirational and respectful manner with colleagues, clients and the wider community;
• Demonstrate insight and apply knowledge effectively to business and client problems;
• Demonstrate commercial awareness and identify opportunities to enhance revenue;
• Proven track record of
a. Issue identification and problem-solving skills.
b. achieve results through others
c. Positive and flexible attitude to work and a willingness to embrace new initiatives.
d. Planning and project management skills.
• Effective oral and written communicator (the role will involve report writing);
• Communicate with impact, in a way that is open, honest, consistent and clear;
• Promote the Regulatory team within KPMG in order to encourage collaboration and increase internal leads;
• Build the reputation of KPMG through the quality of your work, knowledge and experience; and
• Flexibility to work across the UK (and internationally) where required.
• Broad UK Regulatory knowledge; in particular relating to structural reforms that impact the business model, legal entity structure, financial model and operating structures of banks; Detailed working knowledge of valuations and an understanding of their implications is advantageous, but not a requirement.
• Likely to have held significant positions in the financial services industry; with the PRA or FCA; and / or a leading professional services organisation; and
• Strong understanding of risk management frameworks and regulatory capital and liquidity risk frameworks, including stress testing;
• Successful track record of managing people and projects new business origination through both internal and external activities.
• Industry recognised qualification (e.g. CISI, FPC, IMC, CFA etc.) desirable but not essential.