Equity Institutional Portfolio Manager
• Establish a credible investment-based relationship with the applicable Portfolio Management group; serve as an integral member of the investment team.
• Articulate investment style and portfolio strategy effectively to all audiences. Position the portfolios with consultants, clients and prospects; be able to communicate not only the record, but also the “message.” Clearly articulate investment strategies and discuss specific holdings.
• Assume primary responsibility for portfolio management functions other than stock selection, including negotiating client guidelines for new accounts, management of cash in clone portfolios, management of customized portfolios (as well as internal and external marketing and client service as mentioned above).
• Maintain high level of proficiency on portfolio holdings and portfolio positioning by utilizing investment resources (analysts, portfolio managers, company meetings, industry conferences, etc.).
• Work with distribution channels to develop overall, long-term distribution strategy for each product (addressable markets/channels, key competitor analysis, market share and product capacity analysis, product profitability, required resources, etc.). Establish product availability and expand market share across appropriate distribution channels.
• Work with PMs to develop/define/refine investment philosophy and style. Develop materials (presentations, white papers) which validate style attributes. Identify and track metrics to monitor consistency of approach. Develop materials to help set appropriate client expectations and retain assets when style is out of favor.
• Provide regular investment updates (quarterly, annual) to distribution groups on performance attribution, significant transactions, and investment outlook.
• Contribute to investment team (as other portfolio managers do) by generating investment ideas, monitoring existing holdings, and managing risk by utilizing internal MFS fundamental and quantitative research, as well as attending company meetings, industry conferences, etc
• MBA required and CFA Charterholder preferred.
• Minimum of ten years experience in the investment management business.
• Experience working with investment clients and managing portfolios and following assigned markets preferred.
• Broad knowledge of the global investment environment, economic trends, financial markets and competitive trends.
• In-depth knowledge of the equity business in order to build credibility quickly and forge relationships throughout the organization.
• Strong presentation skills and communication skills, both written and verbal.