Senior Director, Society Relations, EMEA
The Senior Director, Society Relations, EMEA is responsible for leading and overseeing the relationships with CFA Societies across EMEA to achieve the CFA Institute mission. As a member of the regional management team, the position represents CFA Institute’s mission and strategy externally to societies and other stakeholders in the region, and the views and objectives of societies to internal teams and colleagues. The role is responsible for building alignment with and driving CFA Institute strategy among the EMEA society network as appropriate to the region and local markets.
The responsibilities in this role include: developing and implementing plans to improve society services to members; developing society business models; ensuring strong governance models; providing leadership development opportunities for boards and volunteers; and increasing the capacity of societies to serve their members in local markets. The position manages regional Society Relations staff and oversees grant funding and other resource allocations to societies in the region to ensure a consistently high level of service and support, together with a proactive approach to raising Society Member Service Standards.
The Senior Director, Society Relations must work collaboratively with team members across functional areas to drive the CFA Institute strategy globally and in the specific region. The position also works with colleagues worldwide to facilitate the delivery of products and services to societies, and to assist colleagues across functions in pursuing their objectives as appropriate in collaboration with societies at the local, regional or global level. The position is expected to contribute to overall organizational objectives through participating in, or leading, global projects, as required. The position will be based in London and will report to the Head, Global Society Relations and the Managing Director, EMEA.
- Drive organizational strategy as a member of both the regional EMEA and global Society Relations senior management teams, and represent CFA Institute mission and strategy to societies in the region. Build capacity at regional societies through long-term strategy, innovation, and development:
- Design, organize, or contribute to strategic outreach activities, including society leader training, and consultancy to support strategic/business planning
- Assist societies in professionalizing their activities, from review of the local legal/fiscal regulatory framework to the identification of staffing and infrastructure needs
- Plan and implement strategic society services and support activities that promote the development and improvement of member societies in the region:
- Monitor society activities and objectives, engaging staff to support these where appropriate
- Facilitate collaboration and sharing of best practices between societies in the region through the development of effective communications and targeted consultancy
- Identify regional member/candidate growth potential and work with member networks to establish robust new societies, built on strong governance and business models.
- Closely collaborate with colleagues across CFA Institute to ensure representation of the society voice as well as global consistency in the planning and execution of initiatives that deliver critical resources to societies, including strategic grant making, Regional Society Leadership Conferences, governance and advocacy training, brand and marketing support, and others.
- Leads, motivates and develops a high performing regional team, providing leadership, mentoring and support while ensuring accurate and timely execution of responsibilities.
- Lead the regional Society Relations team to drive success in delivering our mission and member value through societies across multiple dimensions including; society leadership and management; advocacy and continual professional development (live and online).
- Lead efforts across Relationship Management and the cross-functional teams to establish, coordinate and grow Country/Market Plans in the region in collaboration with local society objectives, particularly for strategic and XL markets.
- Represent the Societies 2.0 vision to internal and external stakeholders in the region and lead execution, working in close collaboration with Head, Society Relations and regional Senior Directors
- Responsible for establishing an open and collaborative team culture where strong performance, innovation and contributions above and beyond are valued and recognized
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in business or client management within a multinational environment and a proven track record managing client relationship
- Demonstrable ability in staff leadership with a passion for developing and motivating teams and the ability to work effectively through their team to accomplish key challenging objectives
- CFA Charter and/or investment industry experience strongly preferred
- Highly collaborative style; experienced in establishing trust and building strong relationships and influencing stakeholders at multiple managerial levels.
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, listening, and presentation
- Demonstrable strategic planning and project management skills
- Strong understanding of governance best practices, through professional or volunteer experience
- Polished executive presence; the ability to consult confidently and effectively with senior stakeholders.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets
- Experience in planning and delivering conferences
- Working knowledge of multi-media and social media
- Fluency in English required; multilingual preferred
- Must demonstrate good judgment and mature business skills
- Mastery of PowerPoint functionality and best practices in presentation development and delivery; comfortable and confident presenting to large audiences
- Strong analytical skills, demonstrable ability to identify opportunities and drive required actions.
- Very high level of organizational and time management skills; flexibility in competently juggling competing priorities and changing expectations. Energy to put in the hours of concentrated work necessary to achieve goals while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Energy to put in the hours of concentrated work necessary to achieve goals, while maintaining a positive attitude. This will include some evening and weekend work.
- Regional and global travel will be required, including to CFA Societies, conferences, meetings and events; approximately 25-40% of the time, with some travel and work on weekends too.