Question Writer: Certificate in Climate & Investing (Level 4)
CFA UK is looking to develop a new qualification in Climate and Investing and is seeking four practitioner subject matter experts to support the development and launch of the new qualification. They will be required to commit to a minimum of 5 days over an 8 week period.
Building on the launch of the Certificate in ESG Investing in 2019, CFA UK recognises the growing importance of equipping today’s investment professional with the knowledge and skills necessary to understand climate as it relates to investing and to integrate climate considerations into the investment decision making process.
Question writers are responsible for writing the assessment material for the qualification. This will be in the form of individual questions, rather than a whole examination paper. In the first year of development, the commitment will be greater but this is expected to reduce in subsequent years.
Each question writer is required to:
- write questions with identified answer keys, according to the syllabus specification and question writer guidelines
- ensure that each question meets the requirements in terms of the required level, appropriateness for the qualification and specification
- submit a short rationale for why each question key is correct and why each distractor is an incorrect answer
- submit the material to CFA UK within the agreed time-scale and in the format specified
- send a revised version of the material to CFA UK following feedback
- attend, where necessary, an editing meeting at which the revised draft of the assessment material is evaluated and amended where required (likely to be via video conferencing)
- carry out all these services in line with CFA UK instructions and schedules.
Who are we looking for?
The purpose of the new qualification is to enable investment professionals to understand the implications of climate change in an investment organisation and incorporate the relevant tools, techniques and data into investment decision making.
As such we are seeking investment professionals with subject matter expertise in the following areas:
- climate science, climate change risks and considerations
- regulation, policy response and corporate reporting as it relates to climate
- climate change impacts and opportunities
- climate risk measurement – data, metrics, targets and scenario analysis
- climate stewardship and engagement
- climate as it relates to list investment instruments
- climate as it relates to private investment instruments
- portfolio management and climate-related aspects
- climate as it relates to serving client needs
Applicants who do not have the specified industry experience will not be considered.
Experience in writing assessment material is not required as training will be provided.
Typical question writing process
- Question Writers submit agreed amount of questions by a set deadline.
- Questions are reviewed by internal CFA UK staff
- If required, CFA UK staff provide first-stage feedback to Question Writer and agree a date for re-submission
- Questions are reviewed by Climate and Investing Panel.
- If required, Climate and Investing Panel provide panel feedback to Question Writer and date for re-submission is agreed
- If required, Question Writer attends Climate and Investing Panel for a final review of questions.
What you will gain:
- Insight into qualification development and delivery by helping to define and determine the requirements and set the competency standards for those entering the sector.
- Working with the Climate and Investing Panel, you will help define and determine the requirements of the assessment and set the competency standard for those entering the sector
- Build your profile within the CFA UK network of volunteers, the wider membership and the industry
- The opportunity to meet an interesting and engaged group of fellow practitioners from a range of sectors
- The opportunity to meet and network with other like-minded investment professionals
- Receive training in how to write examination standard questions
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please email a copy of your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 10th December 2021
If your skills and experience match our requirements, you will be contacted and asked to attend training in question writing. Following the training, you will be asked to submit some sample exam standard questions, which will be reviewed by CFA UK. If these meet CFA UK’s requirements, you will be commissioned to write a number of exam standard questions, according to your availability.
You will receive clear commissioning guidance. Question Writers are paid on a per-question basis after questions have been approved by the Climate and Investing Panel (£23 per level 3 question; £30 per level 4 question). Consultancy contracts are short-term but may be renewed based on question writing performance and question development needs.