Valuations Associate / Executive
Our mission and objectives
- British International Investment is the UK’s development finance institution, owned by the UK Government. We invest with the aim of solving the biggest global development challenges by investing patient, flexible capital to support private sector growth and innovation.
- We have over 70 years of experience successfully supporting the sustainable, long-term growth of businesses in Africa and Asia, and have recently expanded to invest in the Indo-Pacific and Caribbean.
- We invest to achieve impact and a financial return which is then reinvested for more impact. Over the past five years, we have committed almost £7 billion of new investments, with our net assets growing in value to approximately £7.5 billion. We are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 900,000 workers and support many more. Over the next five years, we plan to grow further, and aim to commit around £9 billion of new investments over the period.
- Our new five-year strategy responds to the opportunities and challenges facing developing and emerging economies. To ensure our capital is used in the best way possible to meet these opportunities and challenges, it sets out three clear strategic objectives – to invest in productive, sustainable and inclusive development. These objectives mean an increased focus on climate finance, including investing in green infrastructure; on financing digital transformation; and on driving inclusive outcomes, including through gender and diversity finance.
- As part of our new strategy, we have changed our name to British International Investment (from 4 April 2022), to more accurately reflect our central role in the UK Government’s international financing offer.
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan and Ghana; with additional locations opening soon.
- We take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract, and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 500 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us and the new strategy at bii.co.uk
Team and role overview
- The Valuation team was established recently and is responsible for managing and independently overseeing the valuations of all BII’s investments. The team currently sits under the Finance department and is expected to grow in line with the growth of the Company.
BII’s policy is to measure all investments at fair value in accordance with IPEV guidelines. Investments are increasingly being made with larger ticket sizes and more complexity and there is a need for an additional resource to assist the Head of Valuations with the quarterly valuations and implementation of the valuation processes and procedures.
In this role, you will be responsible for the valuations of a specific sector across various investment products (private debt, private equity, and funds)
- Run the valuation models for the assigned sector portfolio on quarterly basis, adhering to quarterly reporting deadlines.
- Ensure that valuations are conducted in accordance with BII’s Valuation Policy and IPEV and are accurately reported to the Valuation Committee for informed decision.
- Gather information and data from external and internal sources that can potentially impact BII’s valuations.
- Review, challenge, and document judgemental inputs provided by the investment teams in an independent and objective manner; enhance the quality of valuations, and ensure they are supported by adequate and reliable assumptions
- Maintain and update the valuation reports in preparation for the Valuation Committee and liaise with the investment teams on the action items.
- Assist with the review and update of BII’s valuation policy and guidelines.
- Contribute to the design and enhancement of the valuation models.
- Support the Investment Function with valuation tasks, data, information, and models on needed basis.
- Stratify and analyse large data sets to identify historical performance trends, detect correlations, identify key value drivers and perform calibration of BII’s valuations.
- Work closely with the Finance teams to ensure appropriate application of accounting policy and reporting standards on fair value and assist in the yearly Audit of the valuations.
- Other ad-hoc responsibilities as assigned.
Background, skills, aptitude
- Must have suitable experience in valuating private businesses and complex investment securities gained in a financial institution (another DFI / Private Equity / Private Debt / Investment Banking / Investment Management / Consulting). Exposure to emerging markets is highly desirable.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the demonstratable ability to deal with stakeholders at all levels in a confident manner.
- Analytical mind and ability to understand both technical and commercial subjects.
- Ability to hold themselves accountable for the valuations of the assigned sector.
- Ability to deliver workstreams under time pressure, with strict adherence to corporate deadlines.
- Strong Microsoft office skills with the ability to build models and use spreadsheets (VBA skills would be a plus).
- Experience with eFront or similar system would be advantageous but not a prerequisite.
- Academic degree in finance, economics, mathematics or equivalent.
- CFA or equivalent qualification preferred, but not prerequisite.
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by BII’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
BII is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application