Job Description – Investment Analyst
Location: Home working. Meetings and events in London and around the UK as required.
Salary: Circa £50,000 plus benefits, including pension, life insurance cover, employee well-being programme and family friendly policies, flexible working offered.
Reporting to: CEO
About Social Tech Trust
Social Tech Trust is at an exciting stage. Our vision is a world where social transformation is the driving force behind tech. We've already invested more than £30m in 300 impact-driven ventures over the last decade. Building on our learning, we are creating a new investment fund to invest in overlooked early-stage tech ventures. Our fund is based on a flexible VC model that combines elements of revenue-based investment and venture capital to enable impact-driven tech ventures to build their sustainability and scale.
About this role
We’re recruiting for an Investment Analyst to join our team as we raise and deploy our first fund. You will be part of a small and committed team as we build our operating platform and invest in a portfolio of transformative impact driven technology companies. As a small team, we are seeking someone who is highly committed, solution focused and collaborative. We offer an exciting opportunity to be part of a fund that addresses a significant market gap using an alternative form of investment. As well as providing an opportunity to deliver meaningful impact, we work flexibly and offer a range of employee benefits.
Our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion: Having worked with many organisations that champion equality, diversity and inclusion from a range of backgrounds and perspectives, we're committed to the same principles in our own employment practices. We actively welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, socio economic background, sexual orientation or age.
Investment – Managing deal flow and conducting due diligence to inform investment decisions
- Manage inbound deal flow and outbound sourcing through partner programmes
- Carry out due diligence on prospective investees with the support of the investment team and networks
- Conduct financial modelling to inform investments decisions and portfolio management
- Prepare and present investment papers to the Investment Committee
Operations – Support the development of the venture fund and lead on elements of our operations to ensure the effective delivery of investment activities and compliance requirements
- Oversee our CRM, including management of our investor and investee pipeline
- Deliver fund operations including supporting the development of our portfolio management systems
- Develop systems and processes to enable routine reporting of the performance of individual investments and the portfolio to the internal team and LPs
- Draft monitoring and performance reports for the management team and investors
- Interface with fund administrators and LPs and respond to requests for data and insights
Fundraising – Support the delivery of the fundraising strategy
- Carry out research on prospective investors with a particular focus on family offices, corporates and trusts and foundations
- Manage our data room and respond to data queries
- Work with the Marketing and Communications Manager to support the development of written and visual marketing materials
- Respond to investor enquiries and prepare briefings and presentations
- Conduct horizon scanning and analyse market developments including relevant policy, current affairs, and tech trends to inform our strategy
- Work directly with investees to support them to deliver and evidence their social impact, build their customer and use base, and identify opportunities for further investment
Other duties as required
The ideal candidate will be motivated by the potential of using tech for positive change. They will have previous investment experience and a desire to apply this to deliver both financial and social returns. They will be a solution focused and flexible team player, with a collaborative working style, an analytical approach, and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- A passion for using technology for positive change and a shared belief in Social Tech Trust’s vision of a world where social transformation is the driving force behind tech
- Proven experience of financial modelling in an investment context and highly proficient in Excel
- Experience of conducting due diligence, with excellent research, analytical and numerical skills
- Positive and solution focused attitude
- Highly organised, with excellent project management skills and the ability to ruthlessly prioritise
- Proven ability to deliver high standards while working at pace
- Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a small team
- High attention to detail and excellent written skills
- Able to articulate complex ideas and put across recommendations with confidence to a variety of audiences
- Open to feedback and to driving organisational improvements
- Interest in alternative forms of investment
- Relevant investment experience in venture capital, corporate venturing, pension funds, impact investing or a related field
- Understanding of the importance of governance and compliance
How to apply
To apply for the role, please send your CV and written response or a short recording to the following question:
How would you go about developing a strategic plan to build a successful portfolio on behalf of Social Tech Trust providing examples from your previous experience?
Finally, please ensure that you have included a contact telephone number.
If you think you could be a good fit for this role, we would love to hear from you. Even if you’re not sure you have the right experience, we invite you to contact us to arrange a discussion.
To apply, please send your CV and answers to the key question outlined above to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on the 10th of November at 23:59. Please note that we will be reviewing applications and carrying out interviews throughout the recruitment period. Once a suitable candidate has been identified we will close the recruitment process so please don’t delay your application if this role is of interest. Use the title of the role that you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Thank you.