Head of Middle Office - Energy
Summary: My client is an international, renewables focused, energy trading and services company. The company employs over 90 energy professionals based in Ireland, the UK, Europe, and Japan. They intelligently leverages the benefits of new technologies, using their advanced methodologies, and the application of unrivalled expertise to develop innovative energy trading and renewable risk management solutions. These mitigate the factors which impede clean energy investment and help make net zero a reality.
- Design and implement the risk management policies and procedures of the company in line with risk appetite, applicable law, regulations and license obligations.
- Carryout an in depth risk assessment (ad hoc) and the ongoing monitoring of operational risk indicators.
- Ensure the continued collaboration and communication with the traders, senior management and the risk teams - reporting your findings and recommendations of the key risk and control indicators from the operational risk reviews.
- Establish adequate risk management processes, resources and infrastructure to identify, measure and provide proper monitoring, reporting and management of risks relating to the company's commercial activities.
- Responsible for developing strong relationships with key stakeholders and senior management by addressing and rectifying any concerns effectively.
- Ensure the documentation for risk management, risk policies and procedures are up to date and are actioned.
- Design and implement the risk management policies and procedures of the company in line with risk appetite, applicable law, regulations and licence obligations.
- Synchronize all activities related to K factor indicators in connection with Trade Control function.
- Responsible for the full compliance of internal and external regulations and any audit requests are actioned promptly.
- The main point of contact for integrating risk management measures across the business and ensuring all relevant parties and functions are in coordination with the set operations.
- A degree in Quantitative Finance, Mathematics, Physics, or other science disciplines.
- 10+ years experience working in an oil & gas trading company, Risk Consulting, banking or finance sector - preferably in a senior position within Middle Office, Trade Control, Operational Risk or Market Risk environment.
- Expert knowledge of risk metrics and risk assessment across all risk categories (Market Risk, Liquidity Risk, Credit Risk, Operational Risk, etc)
- Strong level of knowledge and practical experience using VBA Programming, Matlab and Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of Gas, Power or Renewables Markets - physical and financial
- Experience and understanding of commodity options on physical assets including storage, swing, optimisation, optionality in physical oil terms.
- Knowledge and understanding of control processes in a trading and regulatory environment..
- Ability to understand and apply risk management concepts, including stress-testing, value-at-risk, liquidity adjusted VaR and scenario analysis.
- Strong understanding of options, mathematics and how they are priced.
- Ability to communicate ideas and findings fluently in English (written and spoken).
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing and result driven environment, with the determination to learn and show resilience.